7262Re: Peter the Great's tipple

    Nov 14, 2002
      Russians use pot stills. You distillate strength depends on your
      initial %abv of your wash, see - http://homedistiller.org graph in
      Reflux Still Design. For vodka, whisky with a wash of 10%, the first
      distillation is about 55%abv, second about 75%abv, third about 85%abv.
      See msg 5125, 5135 for a description of making Lebanese arak. Also
      msg 1261, 1307. They add the aniseed to the first distillation, steep
      and redistill.
      An Italian Zammu (Sambuca) by steeping - see msg 5732, 5735, 5773.
      For convenience you can use pure aniseed essential oil -
      http://www.lusionspub.com/anisette.html

      Recipes No 7 & 8 on the Russian site are sweet anise vodka versions:

      1) Sweet Anise Vodka (Anisette)
      200 g finely crushed aniseed
      12 litres vodka (double distilled)
      1.6 kg sugar
      1.2 litres water
      Steep aniseed in vodka for 4 weeks. Redistill to obtain 9-10 litres
      of flavored vodka. Prepare sugar syrup and add to vodka. If it
      becomes cloudy you can use a clarifying agent like 1 beaten egg white.

      2) Sweet Anise Vodka (Anisette)
      400 g aniseed
      200 g star anise
      200 g coriander
      50 g fennel seed
      12 l vodka (double distilled)
      3.3 kg sugar
      1.6 l water
      Steep botanicals in vodka for 4 weeks. Redistill to obtain 10 l
      flavored vodka.Prepare a sugar syrup and add to vodka.

      Wal

      --- In Distillers@y..., "potstillman" <potstillman@y...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I would like to try something like this - either turn it into a
      > pastis, or sweeten it into something like Marie Brizzard.
      >
      > But my (stupid) question is - how strong is "double distilled"? It
      > seems with different still types, this is a rather general
      > expression. I ask because I don't make pure alcohol with my
      > potstill, only schnapps. I'm not a 20l-turbo-yeast-sugar-wash
      > person, and will instead buy some cheapo vodka to try this with -
      but
      > I need to know if I need to distill it before use ...
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Andy
      >

      > --- In Distillers@y..., "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
      > > From the Russian sites, I learnt that Tsar Peter the First's
      > favorite
      > > drink was an anise vodka, which goes against the idea that
      Russians
      > > prefer a flavorless vodka.
      > > From http://www.stopka.ru/drink/samogon/samogon01.shtml Recipe No
      1
      > > is apparently the method used.
      > > Anise vodka (Peter the Great's favorite)
      > > 400 g aniseed
      > > Additional 200 g crushed aniseed
      > > 10 litres vodka (double distilled)
      > > 5 litres water
      > > Additional spring water
      > >
      > > Crush the 400 g of aniseed to a powder. Macerate (steep) in 10
      > litres
      > > of vodka for 4 weeks. Add 5 litres water and redistill. To the
      > > flavored distillate add an additional 200 g of coarsely crushed
      > > aniseed and steep for an additional 4 weeks. Filter and dilute
      with
      > > spring water.
      > >
      > > The site has other flavored vodkas that show a foreign influence
      > > 'Carl the

      Fifth', 'Wenger', 'Gdansk', 'English', 'Rosolis', 'Alchermes', 'Cardin
      > > al', 'Spanish Tower'. Useful for those interested in old flavors.
      > >
      > > Wal/Volodia
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic