6457Re: [Distillers] Re: Q2. Effect of Pressure?

  • George Wessel
    Oct 2, 2002
      Hello Motie

      What your are trying to do is a little different than my original idea.
      I wish you the best of luck. To spell out my idea, I know where I can
      purchase two popane tanks, a 500 and a 1000 gallon tanks that were
      damaged in a grass fire. Plus I have 2 very good 1000 gallon popane
      tanks that could be used as vacuum storage that I don't use. The plan
      calls for cutting off one end on each of the damaged tanks. Welding
      them together to make a single 1500 gallon tanks. Cut out a access hole
      on top and make a clamp on lip to cover. Grain could be augured in
      through this hole as well a maled barley. Water would be pumped in to
      fill the tanks and then inject steam to cook the mash. After cooking
      circulate the wort through a heat exchanger to cool it down to yeast
      temp and then pitch the yeast. As I said it is getting colder here
      everyday so any radiator with a fan on it would work quite well. When
      fermented, apply vacuum, suck off any alcohol that happens to be in
      there. Drain the fermenter and then apply vacuum again this time to dry
      the spent grains so they will store longer. A removeable lid on the
      bottom ( same as the top) to dump out the dry spent grains. All DDG&S's
      would still be in the dry spent grains. Probably give the cooker a good
      cleaning and augur in more grain. Simple and easy, no fancy machinery,
      low initial cost. Boilers are simple to make as well and a condenser
      would also be very easy to build. Only real expense would be a vacuum
      pump capable of pulling the vacuum needed. Use a good yeast and add lots
      of it and I could turn this thing over once a week.

      A 1500 gallon fermenter with a 14% wort would produce 210 gallon of fuel
      alcohol. Us a higher alcohol yeast and get it up to 18% and I would
      have 270 gallon of 100 proof fuel with no drying needed. Find some
      gasoline with no water in it and I'm ready to make some gasohol.

      On the question of whether or not I would need to up the vacuum or heat
      as the percent alcohol in the wort comes down, consider this. A reflux
      still will heat up slowly until you start removing the fore shots. As
      they disminish the still will heat up until you start removing the
      ethanol. Their it will stall out until the ethanol has been removed
      (the more heat you apply the faster the evaporating ethanol will carry
      it off) When it runs out of ethanol it will start heating up as it
      starts to remove the higher alcohols. It will do this heat and stall
      thing until you start getting water. Would this not be the same for the
      vacuum still. If the vacuum and temp where held at the same levels would
      it not just stop producing ethanol. I would think that for fuel alcohol
      the foreshots and the tailings would burn just as good as the ethanol.
      If anyone knows any different I would appreciate hearing what you know.

      So, tell me what you think, am I completely off my rocker here
      George
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic