6432Re: Ethyl-Acetate (wrongly demonized ?)

  • Michael
    Oct 1, 2002
      Further to this. A little internet research has shown that nail
      polish remover can be based on two seperate solvents. Acetone is the
      first solvent. Acetone being a highly effective industrial solvent.
      Ethyl acetate or similar ester is the second solvent. Nail polish
      removers based around ethyl acetate are advertised as being "Acetone
      Free" or "Without Acetone Odor".

      The MSDS's for Acetone describe it's odor as "fragrant, sweet and
      minty". The MSDS's for Ethyl Acetate describe it's odor as
      "fragrant, sweet and fruity". In the end, I don't bloody know...
      Just going to have to make some. How do you concentrate acetic acid?

      --- In Distillers@y..., Mike Gasmier <god@p...> wrote:
      > Here's a little experiment from my old high school chemistry
      textbook, Elements of Chemistry - Earth, Air, Fire and Water, Vol. 1.

      > Experiment 1.14.10
      > In this experiment, you can make some esters with familiar odours.
      > (a) ethyl acetate
      > - Use a dropper pipette to put about 2mL of glacial acetic acid,
      CH3COOH, into a test tube.
      > - Use a clean dropper pipette to add an equal volume of ethanol,
      C2H5OH.
      > - Use another dropper pipette to CAREFULLY add about 1mL of
      concentrated sulfuric acid.
      > - Stir the mixture slightly and then place the test tube in a
      boiling water bath on a hot plate.
      > - After about five minutes, pour the contents of teh test tube into
      a beaker containing about 10mL of water. Unreacted acetic acid and
      alcohol dissolve in the water, leaving the insoluble ester produced
      floating on the surface.
      > - Describe the odour of the ethyl acetate.
      >
      > Well, pure acetic acid is hard to find. Vinegar is only about 15%,
      but I wonder. Sulfuric acid can be obtained from a car battery. I
      already have some nice and strong alcohol. I'll just have to give
      this a go...

      > Also taken from the same book:
      > Ethyl Acetate is an ester. Esters are formed by reaction between
      an alcohol and a carboxylic acid in the presence of concentrated
      sulfuric acid. Many esters occur naturally. They have pleasing
      fragrances and are responsible for the flavours and fragrances of
      many fruits and flowers.

      > Fats and oils are also esters. Esters are volatile liquids, not
      ionized, and are soluble in organic solvents but not in water.

      > Acetone on the other hand is a Ketone, it's systematic name is
      actually propanone. Acetone is commonly used as a solvent for
      plastics, varnishes and greases. Having worked with acetone in many
      industrial situations, I can assure you that the acrid part of the
      nail-polish smell commonly described is that of acetone. The same
      smell can be smelt in many epoxy glues, slicone glues, and even in
      fibreglass resin.

      > As for fingernail polish remover, I don't know. I'll get hold of
      some and see if it dissolves in water. If it does, then it is not
      mainly ethyl-acetate. I can't see that smearing an oil onto your
      fingers will dissolve anything though.

      > Mike G

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic