5523RE: [Distillers] Re: Cost reduction

  • Bob
    Jul 23, 2002

      Barley should do fine. I have found that trying to ferment only grain is a loosing proposition. I use the grain as a flavor additive and a nutrient source for the yeast. It can be done, but the yield is low.

      This is a receipt that I have developed over a number of years that gives very good results.

      Here it is:

      This is for a 15 gal. mash batch:

      Add 25 lbs. of sugar to about 10 gal. of warm filtered water. I use water at about 100 degrees F.

      Stir with vigorous agitation until sugar is completely dissolved. I have a home made stirrer that chucks into a drill that I use.

      While stirring, raise the paddles so that air is whipped into the sugar water solution.

      On a stove or hotplate, stir 2 pounds of unhopped dark malt extract into 3 gallons of boiling water. After the malt is dissolved,

      add 5 pounds of corn chops(a grind that is not as fine as corn meal so that it will stay in a grainbag). Stir, while boiling for 1 hour.

      For the first 15 minutes or so, you need to stir almost constantly, as the corn will stick to the bottom of the cooking vessel.

      Let malt/corn cool until you can pour corn into a grain bag. The liquid is added to the sugar/water solution.

      Tie the grain bag with the cooked corn and add to mash.

      After mash has cooled to 75-80 degrees add 1 tablespoon yeast that has been dissolved in a cup of warm mash.

      I use distillers yeast.

      Let fermentation go as long as possible to get highest yield.

      Distill, pressure filter through block charcoal, cut to desired proof and enjoy.

      For added variety add 2 drops of double strength vanilla extract to a liter. A vanilla bean should work great also.

      Another good drink:

      Add 4-5 mint leafs/liter. Shades of mint juleps

      Bob
      I can get stacks of real malting barley from a farmer. Would this be
      good treated in the way you suggest. ??
      pactumuk

      --- In Distillers@y..., "Bob" <vegabj@b...> wrote:

      > Commercial corn meal has several other components-salt, sodium
      > bicarbonate/baking powder and preservatives,that are not desirable
      to be
      > used in mash. Feed corn (rough ground) makes a good mash
      for "shine".

      > The best bet is to rely on plain table sugar, and add stuff like
      corn
      > meal to
      > the ferment to make a synthetic Bourbon, or steep some peated malt
      in
      > the
      > water, then boil in some sugar to make some Scotch.  Tony's page
      has