      From: Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
      To: "Distillers@yahoogroups.com" <distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:37 PM
      Subject: RE: [Distillers] Re: Warning: Butanol

      Interesting. In making Scotch whisky, the Scots keep heads and tails, and add them back into the stilling process. Could it be that their fine flavor is due to traces of butanol? Whatever the flavor implications , they seem to be able to suppress explosions.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: last2blast@...
      Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 11:56:17 -0800

      That form of biobutanal is similar to gasoline in its purest state, but my point was that adding tails to a pot will over time will cause a concentration of butanol.  What happens to that butanol over time as it becomes more concentrated and heated repeatedly?  Can repeated re-heating and increasing butanol concentration convert it into biobutanol?  I am willing to venture that biobutanol can be created by re-heating and increasing butanol concentration.

      Biobutanol has only 10% less energy than gasoline and not soluble in water, so it's something we should all consider when reusing tails.

      Robert