49457Warning: Devastating Windows Virus Spreading

  • Bill Healey
    Nov 2, 2013

      It seems like hackers are always plotting new ways to steal your information and money. In fact, there's a dangerous new virus going around that can hijack your computer and wipe out all your files.

      It's called the Crypto Locker virus, and it's spreading like wildfire.

      The virus is disguised in an email that looks like it's from a legitimate business like FedEx or UPS. Because the email sounds and looks like the real thing, it's easy to become a victim.

      - See more at: http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=15472#sthash.hWaPxDDi.dpuf

      If you get the virus, hackers will threaten to destroy all your files - unless you pay up fast. Don't let hackers steal your files and your money. I'll show you how to keep this nasty virus off your computer - and what to do if you become infected. First, let me explain exactly how the Crypto Locker virus works. As I mentioned, the virus is delivered in a legitimate-looking email from a company like UPS or FedEx. The message might contain a JPEG, PDF or other common file extension. If you download the file, it installs a virus on your computer. A message pops up demanding $100 or more to keep the virus from destroying everything on your hard drive. The virus gives you up to 100 hours to pay the ransom fee and get your files back. Regular credit cards are not accepted, either. Hackers will only accept Bitcoin or a prepaid card like Green Dot MoneyPak. - See more at: http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=15472#sthash.hWaPxDDi.dpuf

      The Crypto Locker virus is yet another example of ransomware. This is a dangerous new class of virus that locks you out of your computer - unless you pay to unlock it.

      There are ways to get your computer back without paying up, though.

      First, check to make sure the virus is the real thing. Some hackers are using fake ransomware to trick you into paying big bucks, even though your computer isn't really infected. Click here to find out how to spot fake ransomware and how to get rid of it.

      If the virus is real, you'll need help from a powerful anti-virus software like the AVG Rescue CD. It was designed to battle the nastiest of viruses.

      - See more at: http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=15472&page=2#sthash.ZMtiPiLe.dpuf

      Bear in mind that this program can cause unexpected problems if you use it incorrectly. I'll show you how to remove a computer virus step-by-step in this must-watch video.

      Of course, prevention can save you the headache of getting a nasty computer virus in the first place.

      - See more at: http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=15472&page=3#sthash.34pNijUK.dpuf

      Remember, legitimate companies will never send you files through email or text. I recommend deleting suspicious emails right away. And never follow a link or download a file if you're not absolutely certain it's virus-free.

      Also, make sure you have strong security software installed on your computer. It'll prevent viruses from being installed on your computer. Click here to download some for free.

      This is a particularly nasty virus and removing it doesn't guarantee files won't be lost. So make sure to back up your files regularly. Viruses can also leave sensitive files damaged for good, so you want to make sure you have copies of your data in a secure location.

      - See more at: http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=15472&page=3#sthash.34pNijUK.dpuf