49450Re: Re: [Distillers] World's strongest beer contains 67.5% alcohol

  • RLB
    Nov 1, 2013
      In an experiment, I tried freeze distillation.  I was able to increase abv to 10%, but checking waste ice revealed that I was tossing 3% abv down my drain.  Needless to say freeze distillation is a wasteful and bad idea, and it should not be recommended.  If you want to do something different, go out a purchase a dehydrator.  Place a 2 gal pot inside with a hose running out a hole in the side.  My dehydrator will reach temperatures of 145 F, and it has a 12 hr timer.  I have not tested this with my new dehydrator because its under warrantee.  That brewhaus economy still work under the same principle.  Just a different idea than Freeze Distillation because a dehydrator should produce 40% abv on the first run.  There are some dehydrators that reach 160 F.

      From: "waljaco@..." <waljaco@...>
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, November 1, 2013 8:13 AM
      Subject: RE: Re: [Distillers] World's strongest beer contains 67.5% alcohol

      Eisbock, a Bavarian specialty uses freezing to produce a 10%abv beer -

      After primary fermentation the beer is frozen for 2 weeks.The ice is removed thus concentrating the alcohol. The beer is then krausened (active fermenting malt is added) to start a strong second fermentation.

      wal

      ---In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, <distillers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Sorry but that is no longer beer!  The second distillation was used, it became a spirit.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic