49158Re: permitting questions

  • Al N6TEZ
    Apr 5, 2013
      POSTSCRIPT: Fire Sprinkler requirement could be based on several factors such as;
      the fire resistance of exterior walls, the sq. footage of the building, the size of yards (ie proximity to other structures and property lines), containment, amounts processed and stored, which "H" occupancy you fall into, the attitude of the Buiding Official. Also Planning Dept zoning could be an issue.
      In any case try to work with your Building Inspectors (Build,Plumb, Elec & Mech), Building Dept Plan Checkers, Fire Dept Plan Checker, Planning Dept Plan Checker etc. You will get more done by being polite (ask for there help !).
      BUT, also ask for the code sections for any requirements, then read them them yourself. Code law is enforcable, but dept policy is not.
      Don't be afraid to go "over a persons head" if you feel something is not right. Discuss it with the Senior Inspectors, Engineer, Building Offical, Dept Head, all the way up to the elected offical (county supervisor, city councilman etc.). Hope that is not necessary, but it is an option.
      Al

      > Chris,
      > Not sure were your located, but suggest you contact you local Building Dept and request a "Certificate of Occupancy Inspection".
      > You may have to pay for this, but well worth it because you should get the minimum requirements in writing to determine if the required upgrades(if any)are feasiable (within your budget) or if you should look for another location.
      > Your municipality's adopted building code( usually the Uniform Building Code which can be ammended for special local conditions) will detirmine the "hazard" of your "occupancy" and the minimum requirements for your structure and occupancy to comply.
      > Hope you get a kind inspector who will give you a free pre-inspection before you spend money (I would have ).
      > Good luck and please let us know how this works out for you.
      > A Retired Building Official, Al, N6TEZ
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, chris jude <vegbenz300@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Not sure that this is the right forum for this, but if anyone has any $.02
      > > to throw in, or links to follow up on that'd be great.
      > > I am working on the permitting and design/build and then operation of a new
      > > distillery in an existing building. I'm looking for information on the
      > > need or any code references regarding sprinklers in a facility operating a
      > > still and storing liquor for aging in casks.
      > > Also, what the experience has been with folks in the US on complying with
      > > FDA inspections/permitting.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Chris

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic