      From: henry sangret <henrysangret@...>;
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>;
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: Making Rye Whiskey
      Sent: Thu, Mar 28, 2013 7:38:03 PM

      I use a 70% 30% mix field rye and corn meal and prepare a 85 to 90 deg C water to soak in. I use a water that is modified with gypsum to add calcium to harden the water and add calcium for the starch conversion process. I use a cocktail of Alpha and Gluco Amalase Enzyme which breaks the starched down very nicely, but yes makes a very sticky glutinous wort. Prior to distillation I add a anti foaming agent that I get from one of the big suppliers and it does a great job of controlling the foaming problem. Of course you have a sticky end product after distillation but it cleans up OK with alot of water.  I use a 2 lb grain mix per gallon, which comes 1050 to 1060 sg. to much more grain makes a messy wort