49141Re: Making Rye Whiskey

  • James Haller
    Mar 28, 2013
      Thanks to Bob, Bluwater and Derek for your responses. The article on the issues with brewing with rye was an "eye opener" for me and will definitely affect my brewing technique. It looks like I will need to mash with much more water than normal because of the thicker mixture. This means starting with less grain. I'll probably add a lot of rice hulls to help prevent a stuck sparge and expect to spend more time in the sparging cycle. The ph also looks like it is something to watch. Bottom line - I think I'll start with a very small batch to see if it works. If anyone finds the reference mentioned about grain bills for rye distillers, please post directions to find it. Thanks again. Gone2tx
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic