49119Re: Graham condenser or liebeg condenser

  • tgfoitwoods
    Mar 25, 2013
      I'm also  Liebig user, and I've made and used several of them. 1/2 in 3/4 has always worked well for me, although I've built one with internal water-cooled cross-tubes that was 24" long, but worked like a 30".

      One nice thing about a plain Liebig that you can't say about a Graham or crimped Liebig: it will work at any angle up to almost level. The other condensers will pool and burp when they get far from vertical.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Timothy C Smoth <timothyc.smith@...> wrote:

      > I'm using a Liebig. It also is 1/2" inside 3/4". I think 24" is fairly standard length. I built mine long. 36" between the cooling water tee's. I can run the cooling water quite slow on the stove top still. That model has a 3/4" copper riser running through a tee, out the side to a 45° and then to the condenser. The top of the tee has a thermometer port.
      > On the keg still I run 2". A pot still with no thermometer and also a Bok. I use the same Liebig on them. I don't have to run the recirculation pump to fast here either. Hardly at all on the Bok. its only a product chiller before the parrot. Unless I turn the heat up too much on the big pot. But that just forces more water to jump.
      > I still end up using the same amount of heat transfer as though I was running a shorter one. I just don't have to turn the pump control up as high.
      > I've never used a gram condenser. I think I'll try to make on and test it out.
      >
      > Sent from Tim's iPhone

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic