49048Re: [Distillers] Re: TTB Cuts
- Mar 18, 2013Thanks for the info, I don't add methanol to my liquor. I guess I didn't word my response very well. I ordered your book, by the way. Still waiting for it.
From: tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 1:34 PM
Subject: [Distillers] Re: TTB Cuts
For the first part, congratulations on getting such smooth liquor, although I'm not exactly sure how you did it keeping foreshots and tails.
With regards to the methanol, everything I've ever read, including the 2 MSDS's in the links here, say that methanol had a very similar taste to ethanol, but fainter, and that it's virtually impossible to detect, by flavor or odor, at least, methanol in an ethanol solution. Fortunately, almost nothing you can do simply fermenting and distilling will give you dangerous levels of methanol, and that's helped by the fact that the antidote for methanol poisoning is drinking ethanol.
So, simply put, methanol is not the problem, but it sure as hell is not the solution. The cases we hear of methanol in spirits causing death and blindness are the results of unscrupulous sellers mixing very cheap methanol into their liquors to give similar (at first!!) intoxication to the more expensive ethanol. The main reason they can get away with it, before people start dying, at least, is that nobody can taste methanol in ethanol.
As far as added flavor and complexity, there are lots of highly-flavored compounds that can be created by fermentation and distilling. We call these "congeners", and in the correct trace amounts these can give certain liquors their characteristic flavors and odors (and possibly headaches).
Some of these are acetone, acetaldehyde, ethyl acetate, ethyl proprionate, amyl alchol, and a bunch of others, Never never NEVER add methanol to your liquor!!!
Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:
>for flavor, I though, why not, let's get creative. I've read that methanol is poison, which is true, but that ethanol is an antidote
> This is my first reply and response to this group.Â So, have mercy on me. As far as taste, I've been reading a lot of comments and picking up a lot of useful information. (Even bad information is useful) I've been able to convert my "corn wine" to a tastyÂ drink using my son as a taster.Â His criteria is "if it doesn't cause me to make a face, it's pretty good".Â My distilled "corn wine" is quite smooth and doesn't cause a face, and I can verify that. I use a pH balancer and corn meal and sugar and a good whiskey yeast and pour all the slop back into the mash and re-use it. The more I slop back (is that a proper term?), the better it gets.Â The taste, straight up, with no ice, is better than I've ever tasted.Â I don't cut out the fore shots or the end.Â Having read about the Europeans who add methanol to their drinks
> for methanol poisoning.Â Too much methanol in a drink will give you a head ache, but just the right amount adds flavor.and smell.
> From: last2blast last2blast@...
> To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2013 9:55 PM
> Subject: [Distillers] TTB Cuts
> I am reading an 85 page presentation put on by TTB who controls spirit production in US:
> Yes I know some of you old timers will hate this, but TTB states:
> How do you determine when to cut?
> â€" Temperature?
> â€" Smell?
> I guess they are not keen on the idea of taste
> This presentation is informative, and it helps to clear up some misconception for us US hobbyist who are thinking of going legal one day.
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>