48895Sir Walter Raleigh's Great Cordial

    Feb 24, 2013
      Sir Walter Raleigh (1552-1618) is associated with several cordials. These were named after his death and possibly his name was used just to add more prestige. I have the Sir Kenelm Digby (1603-1665) recipe in my "Cordial Waters" (available from www.amphora-society.com).

      There is a 1671 "Cordial Water of Sir Walter Raleigh" which is just a strawberry liqueur -
      http://tinyurl.com/ay5qjak

      Hayman Distillers make a "Sir Walt's liqueur" which appears to be based on a later recipe and which differs from that of Kenelm Digby -
      http://www.hayman-distillers.co.uk/sir-walts
      The recipe appears to be based on a 1829 publication which could have come from a pharmacopoeia and has some 17 more ingredients -
      http://tinyurl.com/b78r7fg

      There is also a rather simple "Sir Walter's Cordial" from 1721 and appears in a pharmacopoeia as "Confectio Raleighana".

      Here is my edited version for 1 litre of 30%abv (original uses water!)

      Zedoary (Curcuma zedoaria) 60g (replace with ginger or omit)
      Cinnamon bark 15g
      Nutmeg (crushed) 15g
      Cloves 7g
      Cardamom (crushed) 3g
      Saffron (sufficient to colour yellow)

      Macerate spices and filter. Sweeten to taste (1-2 cups sugar or honey/litre)

      wal