48882Re: [Distillers] Re: Aged dunder fermentation

  • Chris Jude
    Feb 13, 2013
      No, I agree.  I'd like to coax as much flavor out of the sorghum rum as possible.  When you say some dunder, do you mean 1/3 dunder, 1/3 water, 1/3 spirits, or a higher blend of dunder?

      i've got two options also, I do need to rerun the first batch of spirits from a recent set of batches, as no cuts we made of it.  But should I add in the runs spirits I also made cuts on, that are now sitting at about 75% abv.  My intention is to do one, or the other, then add all together for aging.  My focus is to get robust rum flavor, but I want to make sure the final spirit blend is clean.  Not sure how running to cut runs through again will clean them up, or strip out the flavor.
      The still is column, with partial reflux.  I can run it with packing or without.

      Chris

      On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      Hey Chris,

      It all depends on how much rum flavor you want. I go for some dunder when there's a choice of water, dunder, or both. I like my rum to have big flavor, but that's just one man's opinion.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jude wrote:

      > reviving an old dead thread.
      >
      > I've got several quarts of first run sorghum distillate run by a friend who
      > made no cuts, just gave me the whole run. I want to run it through again
      > to clean it up and remove the feints and the 35-50% cuts per Arroyo's
      > method. I've got some fresh sorghum runs that I save the backset and the
      > rum oil cuts. When doing this distillate run, could I dillute the liquor
      > with the dunder for extra flavor, or should I cut it 50% with pure water?
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > chris
      >

      > On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Alex Castillo
      > wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > **
      > >
      > > *Gavin,*
      > >
      > > *Begin with dunder/water 50/50 (i.e. 10 liters water + 10 liters
      > > dunder) adding your molasses (i.e. 1 gallon), DAP (i.e. 1 Tbsp), citric
      > > acid (i.e. 1 Tbsp) and yeast (1/4 cup - 1 cup, hydrated or sprinkled on
      > > top, then mix).*
      > >
      > > *I suggest you to begin with bread yeast, since is inexpensive. With
      > > time you may even go all dunder.*
      > >
      > > *Oxygenate/aireate well (i.e. aquarium pump 1-2 hours).*
      > >
      > > *Alternatively (instead of using dunder) would be interesting to try
      > > bacterial cultures (bretts, lactic, etc.) as secondary fermentations, or
      > > even dumping the yogurt after the primary fermentation to create the dunder
      > > efect "in situ", lol. There´s plenty room for experimentation. I like
      > > that!*
      > >
      > > *Please let us know how it went in your Jamaican craft, Gavin-rum!, lol*
      > >
      > > *Have fun...and keep it safe!*
      > >
      > > *Alex*

    • Show all 31 messages in this topic

    »