48864Re: Gravity readings

  • tgfoitwoods
    Jan 27, 2013
      Dan, you are very welcome, of course.

      If you want to try a single grain whiskey, it's hard to beat a single malt using homebrew supply malted barley. It's already got the enzymes in it, and the procedure for barley malt is documented in lot of books and all over the web. Corn is several steps harder to work with, and I find barley whiskey delicious.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan D" wrote:

      > Zymurgy Bob;
      > Thanks for checking into this for me.
      > The amounts are pretty much right on, But I only ended up with a total of 4.5 gallons in my bucket. Which may have been the reason for the higher reading.
      > I didn't add the enzymes as you concluded. I went with a simple mash recipe I found online that I could start out with. But was unsure which malts to choose for it.
      > My aim is to make a single grain shine to learn on and expand once I had the first batch done for me to have a taste example to work from. The over all idea was to do a fruit infused shine, so I guess a neutral spirits is my goal. I will be looking into the malts to do my sugar conversions more.
      > But once it finishes fermenting I will post my finished readings.
      >
      > Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic