48783Re: [Distillers] Re: beginning question(s)

  • Bill Rogers
    Jan 18, 2013
      I use propane.  I also make 15 gallon washes.  Rack it into 5-7 gallon batches and toss those into the fridge in the garage.  after they settle out for a few days, siphon those into the boiler.  a typical run is 7-8 gallons of wash + tails.

      On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

      what do you use for heat?  I do 15 gal batches so storing in a fridge would be dificult. I usuallt ferment till t quits bubbeling and than starts to settle and than strip I can reduce the alcohol and water content by 60 to 70% easier to store.

      From: Bill Rogers <bill.rogers@...>
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 11:01 AM
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: beginning question(s)

      I reflux my washes as a first run.  I don't have any issue with solids but i do rack my washes, refrig them and then rack again into the boiler.

      If you have a boiler already why not make 2 still heads, a pot still for stripping and a reflux for vodka and high potency runs. Running a reflux on first run was is a pain with all the suspended solids, so I strip everything and go from there on a second or third run.

      Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:36 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: beginning question(s)

      --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "mailto:ccgraa%40aol.com" wrote:> > 32-36 inches should give you good start Thanks for the reply ccgraa. I'll start there. You too Bill. I sent a reply, but It seems to have gone astray. 10 feet is the only way 1.5 inch tubing is sold in my area. My thinking is a basic boiler and column, upon which I can experiment with different head designs. After all, I DO have extra tubing, eh? H.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic