      From: Fredrick Lee <fredrick@...>
      To: "Distillers@yahoogroups.com" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 1:56 PM
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] Freeze distillation

      You have to know the freezing point of each alcohol and solve the math for the eutectic state of that solution. Since many of these alcohols freeze in the -70°F range you probably aren't going to be able to do it at home. Accurate fractional freezing requires the math and knowledge of the items in solution.  Freeze distillation is essentially the opposite problem of solving for your azeotrope when regular distilling.  Since ethanol is soluble in water, you probably will see a limit around 40% abv in a regular home freezer. The colder it gets, the more ethanol that's being trapped in your ice water, and you'll end up throwing away much more than you could distill out by volume. It's fun to play with booze though!

      Again, if its just about storage, then sterility and keeping it closed up until ready to use, is the easiest way to store alcohol indefinitely.

      On Dec 26, 2012, at 12:59 PM, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

      Thank you for this info, and you are correct about everything that you stated pertaining to Freeze Distillation.  Those possible dangers are why I have not tried consuming my concentrated wash.  My future plans include processing my concentrate through a still, which I hope to acquire in January to further my experiments.

      Freeze distillation is very labor intensive, but my wash samples need to be reduced for storage until they can be processed further.  Since freeze distillation is an interesting process that allows for the removal of water without the dangers of explosions, my experiments will review whether or not freeze distillation offers any benefit to the production of Ethanol for use as spirits.

      I am new to distillation, so my experiments will wander in many directions to obtain answers to my many questions.  In my readings, there are a minimum of 6 different types of Monohydric alcohols with different boiling points.   Can freeze distillation be used to remove some of these unwanted alcohol compounds from wash prior to distillation?

      Robert