48610Re: mash question

  • last2blast
    Dec 8, 2012
      All good points, but my freeze distilled wash has to be done this way until I can build or purchase a pot still. I am not one too wait until I have everything in place before I start my experiments. One of the other commentator's stated that water will not freeze beyond 20% alcohol, but 20% alcohol may not kill all bacteria. This is why I refrigerate my freeze distilled batches at this time.

      Garlic kills bacteria and smells bad during fermentation, but it seems not to harm fermentation process. It will be interesting to find out how garlic will affect its taste.

      By the way, I made poor wines in the past, and I got the bug to try distilled spirits from watching "Moonshiners". Once I have a process, formula, and funding, I will go completely legal with a nano-distillery. Current TTB regulations make it almost impossible to come up with a process and formulas without thousands of dollars on hand.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Adam Fordham <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

      > The character of your distilate will change. Possibly a good thing pprobably a negative thing. There really is no benefit to ageing a wash that I am aware of aside from clearing. A completely fermented out wash is still a wonderful thing to bacteria. Freezing would be best for storage but not practical. Hops was originally added to beer for its antibacterial properties but I wouldn't distill a hopped mash. Oxygen promotes vinegar. Something else to consider would be stressed yeast produce nasty tasting components to survive. The acidity of wine and lack of oxygen is what preserved wine before sulfites were first used. Still works too.
      >

      > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic