      From: Adam Fordham <bluwater2828@...>;
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>; fredrick@... <fredrick@...>;
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] Re: mash question
      Sent: Sat, Dec 1, 2012 8:08:09 PM

      Hot mash. Plan ahead. Problem solved.

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      From: Fredrick Lee <fredrick@...>;
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>;
      Sent: Sat, Dec 1, 2012 7:52:56 PM

      The best way to store fermented liquid is to keep them airtight. As long as you don't open them, they'll stay under a blanket of co2. You risk ruining the beer every time you open it. There are all kinds of airborne bacteria that can take hold. Mash your wort,  pitch your yeast, ferment it out and leave it under an airlock. Don't touch it. It will be beer for years.

      On Dec 1, 2012, at 9:55 AM, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:

      I was concerned about this myself, so my first test, sugar wash, gallon is being turned into Sugar Jack. Rather, it is in the process of becoming Sugar Jack. My original 1.2 gallon test batch has been reduced to 2 quarts.

      My wash was divided into to 2 plastic container with narrow necks, and every two hours I would pour the liquid into another container and hold it over the funnel until it stopped dripping. That container was placed in the freezer and the first container was cleared of ice. If my wash started out at 10% abv then it is 20% currently. I am trying to reduce my wash down to around 15 to 20 oz., and it should give me a wash in the neighborhood of 80% abv. No, I am not going to drink it because it is full of nasty stuff like Methanol and yeast.

      What I am trying to achieve is a way to store my wash until it can be properly processed. I have never tried this before, so 80% abv may not be possible, but it will be fun to try. I am hoping nothing can survived in 60% to 80% abv wash.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Byron" <odiekokee@...> wrote:

      > My apology for a overly simple question:
      >
      > With a simple mash, is there any harm to leaving it to sit anywhere from a day to a month past the end of bubbling from the check? I know the yeast is done and dead, just wanting to make sure it won't cause trouble before i leave it to sit till I have time to finish the process.
      >
      > Much obliged,
      > Me.

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic