48598Re: mash question

  • last2blast
    Nov 30, 2012
      Agreed that it might cause a future problem! I am test freezing my first 1 gallon sugar wash to see how well it will hold up until I am ready to process it. Since I am only making 1 gallon test batches, it will be easy to store them in my freezer. I am interested in attempting sugar jack to see how well it separates and removes water from my test wash.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" <whitney@...> wrote:

      > Leaving a mash to sit once vigorous fermentation has finished is generally a bad idea. If you dropped a camden tablet and/or boiled your wash before fermenting as you would with beer AND put it in a sterile, air tight vessel you might be able to keep it for a month. Unless you have a reason to leave it I wouldn't recommend it. The worst is those infections can spread to other washes you might have going.
      >
      > I once had a nasty run in with a bacterial infection just 24 hours after mashing some rye. It smelled up the whole house with this rotten cereal/noxious odor, I've never smelled anything like it. I tried to save it, I even was able to fight the pH enough to accomplish some fermentation but when I ran it through the beer stripper it just tasted terrible. Blech.
      >
      > For the question of lost alcohol and the TTB, they don't require excise tax till it's distilled so the loss would just be ingredients and time.
      >
      > Drink Well
      > -W.

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic