48594Re: [Distillers] Re: mash question

  • Luke Moore
    Nov 29, 2012
      i believe once its fermented, you need to remove the deadspace oxygen part in the container if you want to store it for lenghts of time.

      its the interaction with oxygen that creates long term negatives.

      On 29/11/2012, at 22:54, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:

      My problem with this question and answers is that wine would lose a great deal of its alcohol content if there was an enzyme that consumes alcohol. You would have trouble storing spirits to sell because you would lose spirits. How would a distiller justify this loss of spirits to TTB? I am new to distilling, but in all of my studies no one ever mentioned a drunk enzyme. =D

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John S. Thomas" <john@...> wrote:

      > You may have mashing and fermenting mixed up. Mashing is the process of
      > cooking the grain and then washing out the sugars. This process take
      > anywhere from one hour to 90 minutes. The fermentation cycle is where you
      > add yeast after the wort or the sugars are washed from the mash then boiled
      > for 90 minutes, cooled then the yeasted is added. This fermentation process
      > takes any where from five to ten days. The fermentation process goes from
      > a beginning gravity to and ending specific gravity. This process can be
      > forced or shortened or so I am told. I would not let the mash or
      > fermentation process sit past when it is done. Beer or wort can become
      > infected very easily.
      >

      > John S. Thomas
      >
      > _____

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic