48593Re: [Distillers] Re: mash question

  • anthony chiappetta
    Nov 29, 2012
      yes there are losts, as for the TTB, they dont care about how much we make, ( kind of ),  but what we bottle and what goes out the door for promos and to retail, its all about the taxes. i can not explain why wine does not have the same problems as mash does when storedt but there is an biological reaction that "eats" alcohol if you leave it sit. I will ask our phd chemist to explain it, when he gets a chance.

      On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:54 AM, last2blast <last2blast@...> wrote:

      My problem with this question and answers is that wine would lose a great deal of its alcohol content if there was an enzyme that consumes alcohol. You would have trouble storing spirits to sell because you would lose spirits. How would a distiller justify this loss of spirits to TTB? I am new to distilling, but in all of my studies no one ever mentioned a drunk enzyme. =D

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "John S. Thomas" <john@...> wrote:

      > You may have mashing and fermenting mixed up. Mashing is the process of
      > cooking the grain and then washing out the sugars. This process take
      > anywhere from one hour to 90 minutes. The fermentation cycle is where you
      > add yeast after the wort or the sugars are washed from the mash then boiled
      > for 90 minutes, cooled then the yeasted is added. This fermentation process
      > takes any where from five to ten days. The fermentation process goes from
      > a beginning gravity to and ending specific gravity. This process can be
      > forced or shortened or so I am told. I would not let the mash or
      > fermentation process sit past when it is done. Beer or wort can become
      > infected very easily.
      >

      > John S. Thomas
      >
      > _____

    • Show all 26 messages in this topic