48576Re: carbon filtering

  • edbar44
    Nov 18, 2012
      you're supposed saturate or boil the carbon (after rinsing) since it is supposed to increase it filtering ability, not sure if that's a fact. anyway if you clean the carbon and it's saturated, depending on your volume, your product will force the water out when it is going down the column, depending on your setup, mine hold about 500 ml of water, so when I begin filtering, I wait for the 500 ml to come out and then start testing for alcohol, I guess I lose about 150 ml but you get it back on the back end when you're changing carbon. I add 500 ml to the empty column and flush out the remaining alcohol. so 150 ml of 40% ABV isn't much. I usually run my carbon for 3000 ml unless some flavors begin to appear.

      hope this helps, just my way of doing things. I never reuse the carbon, too much trouble cleaning it properly and you can get 50# bags for about $40. I've used 2 bags in 6 years.

      read the carbon handbook if you haven't already, it's posted in many places on the boards and suppliers web sites.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mccumster" <dmccallum76@...> wrote:

      > How much alcohol do you lose when carbon filtering. Does the proof drop a substantial amount?

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic