      From: Distillers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Distillers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Harry
      Sent: Saturday, 1 October 2011 10:19 p.m.
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Liebig Condenser

      I hate to burst your bubble Thursty. but there's a lot more to these heat exchangers (condensers) than mere 'reasoning'.
      For instance, your idea of water entering the top and exiting the bottom, doesn't take into account the constant separation of dissolved gases in the coolant feed. Bubbles form in the upper regions of the coil right where you want to feed the coolant. Ergo, coolant flow is disrupted, there's gas in the coil and the heat exchanger either works very poorly or ceases functioning altogether (not good with ethanol involved). Think 'vapor lock' in your old time carburetted fuel line. Same thing. There's lots of other 'ifs' involved too. Suggest you research heat exchangers. Start at my Library; Engineering section...
      Free to read online. Link in sigline.

      http://distillers.tastylime.net
      =======================================

      Max Norton <nortonshog@> wrote:

      > > Cold water should come in at the bottom. As the coil heats up the
      water, it rises to the top and is also pushed up by incoming cool water. The warm water is then drained off by the over flow. Thus you are continuously replacing warm water with cold water.

      > Hi Max and fellow enthusiasts,
      >
      > Interesting discussion.
      >
      > With all due respects, the same would occur if the cold water were to
      enter at the other end.

      > Water under pressure absorbs more heat before it boils - conversely less
      water is required to cause the same amount of cooling.

      > So, in a free flowing condenser such as is used in the Nixon - Stone
      Reflux Still, the coil is the longest route to its bottom end, holding, at any given moment, the major volume (and weight) of all the water in the condenser. The straight (upstand?) part holds the minor (lighter) volume.

      > As I see it, cold water entering the coil at the top, would cause some
      (albeit very minor) pressure because of the volume (and thus weight), and the propensity for the heated water to want to rise - to push back up the coil against the cold water entering.

      > Therefore I believe it is more effective to have cold water entering at
      the coil and the heated water exiting up the straight part from the bottom.

      > Not to be confused with a pressurised closed system such as that in a
      motor vehicle.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic