48091Re: Liebig Condenser

  • Thursty2
    Sep 30, 2011
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Max Norton <nortonshog@...> wrote:

      > Cold water should come in at the bottom. As the coil heats up the water, it rises to the top and is also pushed up by incoming cool water. The warm water is then drained off by the over flow. Thus you are continuously replacing warm water with cold water.

      Hi Max and fellow enthusiasts,

      Interesting discussion.

      With all due respects, the same would occur if the cold water were to enter at the other end.

      Water under pressure absorbs more heat before it boils - conversely less water is required to cause the same amount of cooling.

      So, in a free flowing condenser such as is used in the Nixon - Stone Reflux Still, the coil is the longest route to its bottom end, holding, at any given moment, the major volume (and weight) of all the water in the condenser. The straight (upstand?) part holds the minor (lighter) volume.

      As I see it, cold water entering the coil at the top, would cause some (albeit very minor) pressure because of the volume (and thus weight), and the propensity for the heated water to want to rise - to push back up the coil against the cold water entering.

      Therefore I believe it is more effective to have cold water entering at the coil and the heated water exiting up the straight part from the bottom.

      Not to be confused with a pressurised closed system such as that in a motor vehicle.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic