      From: geoff burrows <jeffrey.burrows@...>
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:56 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Running too hot!

      Hi izbraun,
      I can see three areas were your problems might lie I think these are:-
      1.      Your Column diameter and length
      2.      Your heat source
      3.      And a fundamental misunderstanding of  how different liquids boil when mixed with other liquids and at what temperature they then boil. In our case ethanol/alcohol  and water at various temps

      Let’s deal with
      Number 1.
      Your column diameter and height  is smaller than the usual 2” diameter x 1 metre long  (at least) of our hobby stills and because this 1½” is narrower the steam/ethanol mix tends to move faster up the column than in the 2” type columns and your reflux rate will be down because of the shorter column length.
           So a lot of the data you have on these forums appertains to the 2” x 1 metre columns and thus rules out a lot of stuff that you would expect to happen in your still i.e. your take off rate, your condenser size which needs to knock down that steam/ethanol mix fast or you’ll be giving a bigger share to the angels.  This leads on to your next problem area your heat source
      Number 2
      Because you have a narrower and shorter column than usual you need to keep really good control of your flame and when you start your run just keep that flame on tick over.
      Keep it low and slow it’s the way to go.  That way your condenser can knock the steam /ethanol mix down easier.  Using 3/16 copper tubing is good the bigger the condenser tubing the better the separation rate.  If you were to give your column an extension of another 24”  you would find you’d have a better behaving still.  A lot of the guys on here have 1½” columns but they are considerably longer than 24”.  Having such a short column will make your still harder to control and as one member once said it’ll be squirrel-ee which brings us to
      Number three
      Ethanol will near as dam it boil at 78C so with a longer column and good control of your heat source i.e.  low and slow  You’ll find you don’t  need to constantly keep adjusting the flame because it’ll get to 78C and stay there throughout the entire run. One of the guys on this forum has a chart of the different boil temps of the ethanol water mixes and they’ll probably supply it if you ask.
           In ethanol water mix the ethanol boils first i.e.  the column temp, with the correct heat input,  will rise to and sit at  78C and as long as your condenser keeps knocking it down it’ll stay at that temp as long as you have ethanol or alcohol in the wash when the temp starts to rise there’s less alcohol and you can make your cut early depending how clean or pure you want your ethanol
        Bear in mind this is the way I see things but hey I might be wrong and if so I will be put right never fear
      Geoff

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic