47880Re: Verbena

  • gff_stwrt
    Apr 20, 2011
      Hi, folks, and thanks, Wal,

      This is going to be interesting....
      I think I'll borrow my wife's measuring cup, say 250 ml, and pick a few more leaves, see how many leaves it takes to fill.
      Then I will measure the volume of a jar the same size as the ones I used, and figure how many leaves would be in each of the two jars.
      I might well have a couple of THOUSAND leaves macerating! The jars are a bit short of two litres. Each. Lightly packed.

      I might end up making some verbena liqueur and keep most of it as an essence.

      The Baker

      > Lemon verbena (Aloysia triphylla)
      > Liquore all'Erba Luisa
      > 100 leaves
      > 1 lemon (quartered)
      > 1 litre neutral alcohol 40%abv
      > Macerate for 2 weeks, strain and sweeten with 1-2 cups sugar/litre
      > Also msg 31776, 31801
      > wal
      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, folks,
      > > My wife trimmed the Lemon Scented Verbena bush yesterday and luckily I was there.
      > > I stripped the leaves off the cuttings,and bruised them in a mortar, with a pestle.
      > > When they were lightly packed into a couple of (nearly two-litre) jars they were covered in 63% spirit (that's what I had on hand.)
      > > After a day the spirit is going green and smells great.
      > > I am not sure if I will use this spirit alone or mix some of it with something else; what do you think, Wal?
      > > Anybody?
      > > Anyway I'm glad I saved those leaves.
      > > Regards,
      > > The Baker