47719Re: Making Gin

  • tgfoitwoods
    Feb 7, 2011
      Whoof! A guy's gone for a few days and the group explodes!

      Eyendall,

      Part of your confusion comes from the fact that there is no one single way to make gin. Some distillers use a "berry head", which holds the botanicals while the hot ethanol/water vapor passes through them, while some distillers simply add the botanicals to the boiler with clean neutral alcohol, and collect the distillate.

      It looks like Bryan and I both use variants of the latter method. In my case, because I was afraid of the very strong gin flavor"poisoning" the copper of my whisky/brandy/rum still, I use less neutral and get a very strong gin concentrate, which I dilute later with neutral.

      It also looks like I got my botanicals list from the same source as Bryan, a list that Wal posted here a few years ago. I'll include the text of that list and at the very end is my recipe and procedure for making gin.

      Just to confuse the issue, I just tasted a couple of gins from New Deal Distillers that were juniper-only, and they were excellent.

      Whatever route you choose, Bryan's method and mine will both give you fine gins, but slightly different gins.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

      ***************INCLUDED GIN TABLES AND BOB'S RECIPE***************************
      WITH BOB'S GIN EXTRACT RECIPE

      I have also found the botanicals used for the French Citadelle Gin.
      This 1771 recipe from Dunkirk has 19 botanicals which is the biggest
      number among current gins.

      >> Just found the botanicals for a Dutch gin - Van Gogh Gin.

      century.

      quantities for the homedistiller, here is a table of the botanicals
      used in 10 modern gins:

       of the botanicals used is:

      >> grains  of paradise, cubeb berries

      root, cardamon, nutmeg, savory, calamus, chamomile, fennel, aniseed,
      cumin, violet root.

      they are used for cocktails and are more of a flavored vodka - for
      this type of gin for 'x' use equal quantities for juniper &
      coriander  (i.e. x = 20g composed of 10g of juniper & 10g of
      coriander)

      for 24 hours), redistilled and then diluted to 42%abv which is an
      optimal strength for holding the flavour of the botanicals. Only the
      middle run (80-85%abv) is used to produce a high quality gin.
      Plymouth Gin also comes in a 57%abv 'Navy Strength' and which is also
      the British 100 proof strength.

      botanicals basket through which the vapour passes, a technique which
      gives a lighter flavour.

      with other botanicals. Typically a fine gin contains 6-10 botanicals,
      although the Dutch Damask Gin has 17, and the French Citadelle Gin
      has 19 - but this could be more for marketing reasons and has been
      criticised  for lacking direction.

      give a blue tinge to the gin.

       10% other grains, although rectified spirit from molasses is also
      used.

      meal, although these days the proportions given is 1/3 malted barley,
      1/3 rye, 1/3 maize.

      BOB'S GIN EXTRACT#2

      In quart jar, put:

      Juniper, 1 level cup, 80 grams
      Coriander, heaping half cup, 44 grams
      Cinnamon, 4 grams (62 grains)
      Pepper cracked, .3 grams (5 grains)
      Lemon peel, .8 grams (12 grains) ~1 1/4" strip
      Cardamom pods, .8 grams (5 pods)

      Cover with 40% abv "vodka".

      Let stand 10 days.  Distill in wee stovetop still until most of the flavor stops comming across (cinnamon flavor will be last).

      Use one part distillate to 8 parts neutral EtOH, or vodka.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "eyendall" <eric_yendall@...> wrote:

      > I would like to try my hand at making (distilling) gin but am a bit confused from my search of the posts as to the actual technique. I don't want to simply add a commercial essence to my distilled neutral spirit.
      > Am I right in assuming that I first distill to a neutral alcohol; steep various botanicals in this for some specified period; then finally redistill the resultant liquid?
      > Could someone walk me through the process i.e. best formula (grains, sugar or what) for the original wash; tried and true botanicals recipe; duration of maceration in what % alcohol; when to make the correct cuts of the secondary distillation etc. Have I got the steps more or less correct? I have tried to find this information through the search function but must not be using the correct search terms.
      > An apparent alternative is to distill one's own concentrated essence for adding to neutral alcohol. Which is the preferred and most efficient technique?
      > Thanks to all for your help.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic