47464Re: Lalvin-ec 1118 for distilling?

  • jamesonbeam1
    Dec 1, 2010

      Alex,

      The dextrose in potato dextrose agar (PDA) or potato dextrose broth (PDB) comes from corn syrup, not the potatoes.  Its the broth from the potatoes that has the nutrients:

      Potato dextrose agar (FDA M127)(abbreviated "PDA") and potato dextrose broth (abbreviated "PDB") are common microbiological media made from potato infusion, and dextrose (corn sugar). Potato dextrose agar is the most widely used medium for growing fungi and bacteria which attack living plants or decay dead plant matter.[1]

      Potato infusion can be made by boiling 300g of sliced (washed but unpeeled) potatoes in water for 30 minutes and then decanting or straining the broth through cheesecloth. Distilled water is added such that the total volume of the suspension is one litre. 20g dextrose and 20g agar agar powder is then added and the medium is sterilized by autoclaving at 15psi for 15 minutes.[2]   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_dextrose_agar

      Now Harry's GGG dad took 8 lbs of old potatos which were boiled and put in a muslin bag  and let them sit in the fermentation which was 32 gallons water, 20 lbs. of sugar and 12 lbs. of molasses.   Bossy's old lady friend that used the traditional way to ferment mango added "a couple of pounds".   I would try a couple of pounds of boiled potatoes for a 5 gallon ferementation, but try cutting them up and putting in cheesecloth before letting them soak in the fermentation.

      JB.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Castillo" <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      > Hey Jim,
      >
      > That´s what I thought! Addition of dextrose will smooth rum! Can you give me some pointers on what amount of potatoes (peeled/unpeeled?) or pure dextrose for a one gallon molasses/4 gallons water batch?
      >
      > At the time I´m writing this reply, I´m sipping two nice Dominican rum: Ron Atlantico Private Cask
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/34r4t2e
      >
      > and Cubaney 21 (years old) solera.
      >
      > http://www.oliverinternacional.com/Productos.php?s_MARCA=Cubaney&s_PRODNAME=Exquisito+21+A%F1os
      >
      > They´re so smooth!, that smell of chocolate and absolute fabulous flavors that explode in the mouth united with their unique smoothness it´s just amazing! but I´m reluctant to beleive that they´ve waited so many years to achive those masterpieces; simply uneconomically unbeliavable. So they must be using some of those propietary tricks that we don´t know yet and maybe that potato or dextrose addition during fermentation leads to that direction.
      >
      > Alex
      > the rumland aficionado

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic