      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: mm123@...
      Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:17:05 -0700
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] Caramel

      If you've done any cooking you'll be more use to this.

      Don't bother with the water or other liquids, sugar needs to get hot to caramalize and at those temperatures, there's not a lot of water left over and you just spend time evapourating water before making caramel. Here's my way. Get a heavy stainless-steel pan. I use a thick tri-layer one which distributes the heat better than plain stainless. Put in your sugur and put pan onto hot plate. As soon as you see some action turn the plate right down to low, residual heat will make the reaction work. The next part goes fast. The sugar melts and starts to turn brown, use a wooden spoon to give it a mix and get all the crystals melted.

      The next bit is even faster, as soon as it hits the colour you want throw in a cup of water and stand well back. Leave it too long before throwing in the water and you get charcoal.

      The water flashboils (so really stand well back) and stops the reaction. Then over a gentle heat stir to disolve the caramel into the remaining water. Pure caramel isn't sweet, but you will never make pure caramel so there will be some residual sweetness from unreacted sugar. The darker the caramel the less sweet it becomes and the more of a charcoal taste you get. Sugar is cheep enough, make 3 or 4 trials and decide what taste you like best and then just go by colour.

      > Very nice recipe I have followed by Ian Smiley below that was listed in
      > American Distiller.
      >
      > JB.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic