      From: brown_ion <ionbrown@...>
      Subject: [Distillers] nocino
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 1:47 PM

      In new zealand, walnuts are ready about 25 dec. I have made two batches, 08 and 09. The 08 batch started off quite foul, but as the months have passed, it has restored my faith. This is worth doing. 15 months on and it's developing wonderful complex flavouring and after taste. My problem is losing ethanol. I start off with 95% abv. After 30 days in the sun, both batches dropped to 40% abv, according to my hydrometer. The container for the first lot 08 had a glass 5 ltr jar with a plastic screw top. For the 09 lot I changed to a glass 4 ltr jar with an Agee or metal screw band and seal, determined to hinder the angels over indulging, but to no avail. I have taken my hydrometer reading after straining the Nocino ( no sugar added ) .Could it be too viscous and giving a false reading, or is this just the way of it, expansion and contraction with heat of the day. Some time ago, a member asked the same question but I missed the answer (nocino sylvaia 65 10-13-2008 ) Another question please, do you squeeze the walnuts for any nocino that may be left in the nut ? or is it best left alone. Regards Ion

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic