45838Re: Fw: NO REPLIES RECEIVED - Follow On!

  • Anthony
    Sep 30, 2009
      Dear Zymurgy Bob,

      Thank you very much for your direct and uncomplicated reply to my
      questions.

      They were much appreciated, and I was glad to see you already use a one
      gallon still for experimental work. I shall set about making one.
      Curiously, I have never had really bad off-tasting tails. Neither have I
      had unpleasant odours and I reckon my nose is pretty good at detection -
      hearing is another matter!

      The automatic formula that I had been searching for and nobody
      mentioned was sitting there, all the time, in Tony Acklands treatise.
      Actually the formula is simple to work out but there is something
      attractive about getting the PC to work it out instantly. As someone
      said, it's not a bad idea to dilut step by step with a hydrometer in
      one's hand.

      I should like to than others for their kindly comments and I rather feel
      one of my replies went adrift. (Re the capitals there was no intention
      to do this other than not wanting to re-type four lines where I'd
      forgotten the caps lock).

      Best Wishes

      Tony

      > Tony,
      >
      > If you have tasted all 7 of those fractions, and decided that they are
      all good enough to include in your final product, there's no reason that
      you can't mix them all together, measure that total ABV, and dilute to
      the ABV you want.

      > On the other hand, those last couple of fractions just may taste a bit
      of tails, something you won't want in your final spirit. Trust your
      palate on which fractions to include.

      > As a help in tasting, I use 3mL syringes to take a tiny sample of each
      fraction, and dilute it to 40 or 45% ABV *before* tasting (using that
      booze-blender's formula). This way you don't have to force your palate
      to compensate for wildly-differing ABV's.

      > I've made several stovetop stills in the .25 to 1.0 gallon size, based
      on a simplification of the gin essence still from Tony Ackland's site,
      under "flavoring, gin". These make great
      experimenting/learning/extract-making stills.

      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: Anthony.Athawes@...
      > Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:11:59 +0100
      > Subject: [Distillers] Fw: NO REPLIES RECEIVED - Follow On!

      with
      > the element 3.5" down.
      >
      > I have never seen anyone suggest a mini-still - say
      > about a gallon capacity - but this seems a pretty obvious answer to
      small
      > volumes.
      >
      > Comments please.
      >
      > Tony

      > Lauren found her dream laptop. Find the PC that's right for you.
      > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/choosepc/?ocid=ftp_val_wl_290

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic