45646Re: Internal Reflux in a Pot Still - Need Help

  • jamesonbeam1
    Aug 3, 2009

      Hi Mason,

      Yes, im sure the heads might be over 160 proof and the tails under 160 proof as Riku just described, so it equals out to 160 or below proof.  But I still would not try distilling my sour corn mash at the 94 to 95% ABV levels that Riku mentioned.

      Regarding the "official" governing document - 27 CFR 5.22(b). it only states:

       (1)(i) "Bourbon whisky", "rye whisky", "wheat whisky", "malt whisky", or "rye malt whisky" is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

      http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=21224b7c634d83e0fa329bfd18bb85dc&rgn=div8&view=text&node=27:1.0.1.1.3.3.25.2&idno=27

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@ wrote:
      >
      > > Our Bourbons can't be distilled over 160 proof. But anyways, thanks a
      > > bunch for the inputs.
      > >
      > > Vino es Veritas,
      > >
      > > Jim aka Waldo.
      >

      > The way I understand it is that the ABV of the run (everything mixed, heads to tails) cant be over 80%. There is an old post from Pint on the subject. April/May 08. I asked a similar question.
      >
      > Mason

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic