45636Re: Internal Reflux in a Pot Still - Need Help

  • abbababbaccc
    Aug 1, 2009
      I don't think the "lid" shape has much to do in this case. What we are looking at is internal reflux and very little INTERNAL reflux happens on the lid. Rather the stuff that gets condensed drops back to mash. If we want to improve the internal RR a column is an easy solution. Have it unpacked at first as is often the case with potstill risers and if you want higher ABV and more separation add some packing. If that's not enough a small top condenser gives even more.

      As an example I was running my Thor's hammer head with 50cm packed column for whisky. With about 1:1 RR it kept giving 94-95% ABV untill tails started to come through. That is actually more than some get with their old style reflux columns.

      So, it all depends on what you want to make and how do you want to make it.

      Slainte, Riku

      > Hey Mason,
      >
      > Thanks buddy, i'll give your suggestions a try. I know the
      > un-insulated 24" riser (column) will give some reflux, but didn't think
      > the dome would add that much more. Might be the fact that the input
      > tube is much lower than the dome itself (weeeee - maybe me invented a
      > new type of pot still [:)] LOL).
      >
      > Also, I really think Tony's calculator programming is a bit screwed up
      > because when you key in different internal reflux percents, the over
      > all ABV stays the same but only the Total Collected column changes.
      >
      > Now you and I know (along with others) that the more internal reflux,
      > the higher the ABV output should be in a pot still (me thinks lol)...
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      >
      > Jim aka Waldo.

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic