45635Re: Internal Reflux in a Pot Still - Need Help

  • jamesonbeam1
    Aug 1, 2009

      Hey Mason,

      Thanks buddy,  i'll give your suggestions a try.  I know the un-insulated 24" riser (column) will give some reflux, but didn't think the dome would add that much more.  Might be the fact that the input tube is much lower than the dome itself (weeeee - maybe me invented a new type of pot still :) LOL).

      Also, I really think Tony's calculator programming is a bit screwed up because when you key in different internal reflux percents,  the over all ABV stays the same but only the Total Collected column changes.

      Now you and I know (along with others) that the more internal reflux, the higher the ABV output should be in a pot still (me thinks lol)...

      Thanks.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      > Hey Jim, I'll throw my 2 pennies in the ring here.
      > Reflux Rigs are somewhat easy to calculate purity if you know and can do the math. They are also, for the most part, of the same design. Column diameter, length of column, insulated column, packing. Pot still are totally different animals and although some of you guys kid with the "Simple Pot Stiller" and "Purist" titles there is nothing simple when it comes to a pot still. To me those calculations are worthless just because of the sheer number of different Pot Still designs out there. Z Bob runs a Keg with 2 feet of uninsulated 2" pipe on top and says his brandies lack flavor, Other guys try to de tune reflux rigs to run them as pot stills. Your design is especially interesting because you have that "pocket" up top and I bet the creates an enormous amount of reflux. Add to that a 2 foot uninsulated riser and you got yourself an efficient pot still. Consider this change I recently made to my pot rig. I too, like Z Bob am looking for more flavor in my whiskeys. My pot rig is a 32 qt boiler with a mixing bowl on top. It HAD a 6"L x 1"Dia riser tee'd to 3/4" then over 24" and elbowed straight down to the Liebig. The change that I made was cutting off the riser and capping it off. I then cut a hole in the mixing bowl about 3/4 the way up the side and brazed 1" pipe in there and then adapted it to 3/4" to the liebig.. That seemingly simple change dropped the ABV on a strip run 6%. Insulating the bowl should reduce efficiency as well. Insulation is cheap. Get you some of that silver bubble wrap stuff from lowes and insulate that riser to the downturn.
      > Here is another short example. Using 2"x 24" column under my X flow head, Unpacked and un insulated at 1440watts will put the Heads from a strip run (10-12% wash) at about 85% and the overall run will be in the 60's.
      > There are just too many variables.
      >
      > Mason

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic