45380Re: Cross-flow adaptation

  • gff_stwrt
    Jun 3, 2009
      Hi, Rasputin,

      Thanks for that, I only use a pot still and I'm still learning about the different classes of reflux still.
      I guess you are talking about vapour management and I was probably thinking of liquid management (?) where a part of the cooled liquid in the dam at the bottom of the condenser is drawn off, and with a condenser of sufficient capacity would, I expect, already be cool enough without a liebig.

      Regards,

      The Baker
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rasputin Paracelsus <rasputin@...> wrote:

      > Hello Baker,
      >
      > Thanks for the comments. Yes, longer is not a big deal, is it.
      >
      > As far as I can see, the liebig is needed because all the X-flow does is
      > ensure reflux. Still need a condenser to deal with the vapours taken
      > off, right?
      >
      > (Someone correct me if I'm out to lunch. Actually, at the moment, I'm
      > out doing a stripping run on one of my MUM washes. Started it May 21st.
      > Last night, it was very slow, today quiet and down to 0.990. The other
      > one, with the slow BK-1, is still going at a reasonable rate)

      > gff_stwrt wrote:
      > > Hi, Rasputin,
      > >
      > > A couple of thoughts from someone with no expertise at all in this.
      > >
      > > If you're not sure it will have enough capacity, make the tubes a bit longer. So long as the maximum water flow is not too small (small diameter of the tubes/low capacity of the pump) you will have the benefit of increased area of cooling surfaces, WITH NO EXTRA WORK (same number of tubes).
      > >
      > > And would you need a liebig at all if you have a cross-flow condenser of sufficient capacity with a bit in reserve?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > The Baker
      > >
      > > PS I want one of those condensers one day. B

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic