      From: jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...>
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: nutrizima enzymes
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 11:09 AM

      Hey Rick,

      Welcome aboard.  Nice buy - and old copper still.  Please let us know what ya paid for it and how big - very curious.  The first thing I would do is clean the thing out.  Take some vinegar solution and rinse it all very well.  Then take some steel wool / scrubbers and get it nice and shiny.

      The next thing is to really do a vinegar run through it, then run  water at temperature to get any contaminates out of the copper and also check for leaks.  The best way is to bring it up to temp and stick a wet rag into the output so just a bit of pressure builds up - not too much.  You then take a spray bottle filled with a water/dish liquid soap solution and spray around any connections or seals and see if any bubbles develop.  These need to be sealed - either by soldering, brazing or patching / sealing with silicone, teflon tape,  etc.  - many ways to do this.

      Also as Mason said, come join us at New Distillers - http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/

      Harry Jackson is the Owner along with myself, Mason, Trid, Riku and Ken Mc. who are the Moderators of both sites.  We all are (in addition the the other great group of members here)  willing to help you out.  Please let us know what your preferences are and what you would like to start off making - sure we can give some good advice.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@. ..> wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, rick wells rick4betty@ wrote:
      > >
      > > hi all new guy here:
      > > my name is rick well the other day i bought a old copper still so i have doing a lot of reading here on the net on making shine and other drinks.i think� i have it worked out how it all works. i was a little stumped with a thump keg but now i also got that.ok today i'm going to kinda put it all together in my garage.if someone could kinda walk me through the whole thing i would feel a lot better as to what i was doing.as to there was a few things i did not understand.a couple questions i have is is the thump keg air tight?another is i read someware about poring off the first little bit of the run?and one more was i understand the part of water boiling at one temp and alc at another would it be wise for me to install a thomenter into my boiler to asure right temp.?agaim i'm new to this i did try beer at one time and still have my kit from that venture.
      > > thanks in advance rick
      > >
      > > Richard J LaValley
      >

      > Hello Rick,
      > I am going to post this over at the New Distillers Group.
      > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/
      > You will need to join that group also.
      > This is the Advanced Group and is geared more toward the technology
      > advancement side of the Hobby.
      > We are glad to have you and welcome to the Black arts.
      > Also be careful using your real name. Hobby distilling is illegal in all but a few places in the world. Very Illegal here in the US.
      >
      > Mason Jar Dixon (not my real name)
      > Moderator

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic