      From: burrows206 <jeffrey.burrows@...>
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2009 9:49:25 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] Caramel

      Hi guys,
      To make a caramel colouring solution you basically, on a low heat, slowly reduce a high content sugar/water solution and the sugar in the solution starts to cook or turn brown or caramelizes as the water steams off.(watching and stirring all the time).
      My question is in order to change the colour of a clear neutral spirit. The amount of finished sweet dark concentrate caramel you would need to add to colour it to a nice amber colour, would this not also make it excessively sweet?
      Never having done this I don't know but I've thought about this many times because I know from experience that very little sugar on a teaspoon can make a bottle of wine sickly sweet. So what's the real deal in practice? Nice amber spirit but sickly sweet or what?
      Geoff

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic