44598Re: Vapour loss from large shotgun condensor/condenser.

  • harisaki2004
    Mar 2, 2009

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004" <ledaswan@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Crew,
      > > on my POT still I have built myself a large shotgun to replace the
      > > leibig condenser.
      > >

      > > A few of questions.
      > > Is there a laminar flow issue with 13mm tubes? Does this condenser
      > > require more turbulence? How to reduce the amount of fog?
      > >
      > > best regards
      > > Hari.
      > >

      > It's moisture condensing out of the air that's inside the system.
      > The air gets purged as the potstill system (cap, riser &/or lynearm &
      > condenser) gets filled with assorted vapors from the boil. Some of
      > that moisture-laden air will obviously strike the cooling surfaces
      > and condense. Taste the drips. You'll find it tastes like a copper
      > penny, not like alcohol.
      >
      > As for your worries about laminar flow, yes you could improve your
      > shotgun's performance by adding LOOSELY teased mesh inside the 13mm
      > tubes. However as it's fitted to a potstill, you better not have
      > a 'puke', or you may block the whole shebang.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Harry, thanks for the quick reply, your answer re the condensate may
      be true, and I will test this next run. However during the run the fog
      continues even when the rate of condensate is low at 100mL per minute.

      Luckily little chance of "puke" due to distilling wine, not solids.
      Thanks Baker.

      I will try some mesh and see what happens.

      regards
      Hari.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic