44595Re: Vapour loss from large shotgun condensor/condenser.

    Mar 2 1:36 AM
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004" <ledaswan@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Crew,
      > on my POT still I have built myself a large shotgun to replace the
      > leibig condenser.
      >
      > It has 17 x 13mm tubes of 225 mm long fed by a 11 litre per minute
      > water flow. This will pull out 9 kW of energy, ie the water
      > temperature increase and flow calculate to be 9 kWs.
      >
      > However I have noticed during heating up phase from about 60C and
      > before the run really starts a steady stream of "fog" emanating from
      > the condenser with the occasional drip. The coolant temp is about
      25C.

      > A few of questions.
      > Is there a laminar flow issue with 13mm tubes? Does this condenser
      > require more turbulence? How to reduce the amount of fog?
      >
      > best regards
      > Hari.

      It's moisture condensing out of the air that's inside the system.
      The air gets purged as the potstill system (cap, riser &/or lynearm &
      condenser) gets filled with assorted vapors from the boil. Some of
      that moisture-laden air will obviously strike the cooling surfaces
      and condense. Taste the drips. You'll find it tastes like a copper
      penny, not like alcohol.

      As for your worries about laminar flow, yes you could improve your
      shotgun's performance by adding LOOSELY teased mesh inside the 13mm
      tubes. However as it's fitted to a potstill, you better not have
      a 'puke', or you may block the whole shebang.