44446Re: Sour mash - non corn recipe?

  • abbababbaccc
    Feb 3, 2009
      The foaming was indeed not an issue and I did the strip run at 3kW.
      I'll comment on the quality once I have done the second run for
      collected low wines.

      Speaking of wheat flour mashes, found 2 gallon jars full of that
      stuff with oakchips. I think it's time to dilute some and start
      sampling :)

      Cheers, Riku

      > I'll have to see how much mash and backset I end up with. About one
      > third sounds good to me. Cornfeed had to be ordered (which I did as
      > do like bourbon) so I ended up raiding the supermarket for some
      > grains. The mashbill became:
      >
      > 3kg precooked barley
      > 0.6 kg rolled rye
      > 3.6 kg sugar
      > Filled it up to 30 liters and pitched two packages of bakers yeast.
      > This is mimicking the UJSM recipe with a scotch tune.
      >
      > I found an electric blanket that's wrapped around the mash tun so
      > temperature shouldn't be an issue anymore. We'll see how it turns
      > out. I expect little to no foaming during distilation as all the
      > grains are gelatinized. When I did wheat flour mash with cooking
      > method the foaming was nonexistant - I was able to strip at 3kW. I
      > hope this to be the same.
      >
      > Slainte, Riku

    • Show all 40 messages in this topic