44386Re: Whiskey making

  • burrows206
    Jan 29, 2009
      Hi Bob,
      Yes it does help. You've gave me the answers I sorta already
      knew but was too butt lazy to do the spade work and figure out for
      myself.
      So what you're really saying is to get a good whiskey (in
      Ireland and uk we spell it whisky but I was trying to cover all bases
      with whiskey) it involves a lot of raw ingredients and hard work for
      any able bodied person. I think if I make whisky I will get a
      willing helper even if he is French and get him to do the grunt work
      (me in a wheelchair and with one functioning hand makes it hard to do
      the grunt work) Lucky I like vodka
      and whatever occasional bottle of whisky comes my way. (well any
      reasonable tasting alcohol really if the truth be known)
      Thanks for your comments.
      Geoff

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hubble <zymurgybob@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Geoff,
      >
      > My reply is inline.
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      >

      > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > From: jeffrey.burrows@...
      > Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:52:04 +0000
      > Subject: [Distillers] Whiskey making

      > Hi Harry,
      > Can you explain why the master distillers from 150 to 250
      years ago in Scotland and Ireland could make such good whiskeys
      without access to the highly refined sugar like we have today?While
      I'm sure no master distiller, some days I *feel* like 250, and until
      this last continuous sourmash experiment, I've used no refined sugar
      in *my* whisk(e)ys, and I think my whisk(e)ys are good.

      > Seems to me to get any appreciable amount of usable sugars for
      a wash from grain they must have used a hell've' lot of malted grain
      and water and when fermented out, it couldn't have been much stronger
      in % Abv than a good pint of Heavy. Would this be correct?
      > It's correct for *my* washes. It's axiomatic that the higher the
      ABV of the wash, the worse it tastes (loosely translated) and yes it
      *does* take a helluva a lot of grain, and work too. After starting to
      distill grain whisk(e)ys, I've never understood how whisk(e)y could
      be sold so cheaply.

      > Oh yeah for those that don't know what a pint of Heavy is,
      this a full bodied or heavy malt flavoured stout served in Scotland's
      working class pubs and an easily acquired taste it was a good
      substitute to Guinness also an easily acquired taste when I lived in
      Scotand for a while, these stouts can be a tad strong for nearly all
      non Gaelic races who weren't reared on them.As an allgrain
      homebrewer, one of the family favorites is a Foreign Extra Stout from
      a recipe in Brew Your Own magazine. For a woman who didn't used to
      like beer, my wife took to that like a kitten to cream. Me too, for
      that matter.

      > Anyway to get a reasonable amount of good whiskey doing double
      and triple distilling through those huge pot stills they must have
      been dealing with huge low alcohol washes and the work and materials,
      turf and wood in the early years and coal or or gas in the later
      years time spent in the barrel and whatever was involved to do this
      must have been very expensive
      > It is for me, and I'm guessing it was for them.
      >
      > I suppose this outlay needed clawing back hence the hefty
      price tag on some of the better whiskeys of old?
      > Where these huge volumes of low alcohol washes', when
      distilled, the reason why they tasted so good?I think so, and it's
      why I prize my own whisk(e)ys and almost never have any left after
      aging and tasting. That's why this continuous sourmash bourbon batch
      I just did is such a big deal to me. I'll have enough to age, taste,
      keep on my shelf, and maybe give a bottle or two to my kids.I hope
      this helps put things in perspective.

      > Geoff

      > Windows LiveĀ™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.
      > http://windowslive.com/howitworks?
      ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_howitworks_012009

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic