44378Whiskey making

  • burrows206
    Jan 29, 2009

      Hi Harry,

           Can you explain why the master distillers from 150 to 250 years ago in Scotland and Ireland could make such good whiskeys without access to the highly refined sugar like we have today?

           Seems to me to get any appreciable amount of usable sugars for a wash from grain they must have used a hell've' lot of malted grain and water and when fermented out, it couldn't have been much stronger in % Abv than a good pint of Heavy.  Would this be correct?

           Oh yeah for those that don't know what a pint of Heavy is, this a full bodied or heavy malt flavoured stout served in Scotland's working class pubs and an easily acquired taste it was a good substitute to Guinness also an easily acquired taste when I lived in Scotand for a while, these stouts can be a tad strong for nearly all non Gaelic races who weren't reared on them.

           Anyway to get a reasonable amount of good whiskey doing double and triple distilling through those huge pot stills they must have been dealing with huge low alcohol washes and the work and materials, turf and wood in the early years and coal or or gas in the later years time spent in the barrel and whatever was involved to do this must have been very expensive

           I suppose this outlay needed clawing back hence the hefty price tag on some of the better whiskeys of old?

           Where these huge volumes of low alcohol washes', when distilled, the reason why they tasted so good?

      Geoff

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic