44200Re: Theoretical plates in a whisk(e)y still?

    Jan 5, 2009
      Most scottish whisky stills are ex-gin stills from England. Most whisky is
      blended whisky i.e. pot still (malt whisky) and Coffey (column) still (grain
      whisky) products. Most grain whisky goes to english gin manufacturers. Use
      abv output as your guide for a pot still.
      wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...> wrote:

      > Actually I'm wondering about whiskey and whisky stills, not pot stills. Yes, a
      pot still = 1 plate, pretty much by definition. But a huge copper pot, only half
      full, with an exaggerated tapering top, no insulation, and a lyne arm that
      sometimes slopes up, does not make a simple pot still. Maybe the "theoretical
      plates" are less than 2, but surely more than 1. If not, why don't they just use
      flat topped perfectly insulated boilers with just enough headspace to keep the
      foam under control?

      > You're a pro though, so I won't pull any quotes that discuss the reflux that
      occurs in whiskey stills, as I'm sure you've read more than I have on the
      subject. But none of the literature that I've read gives any indication for how
      much reflux occurs in commercial whiskey stills, just that some does, and the
      amount varies from still to still and distillery to distillery.

      > So, any ideas how much reflux is going on in those big whiskey stills?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic