44127Re: Feints ABV?

  • duds2u
    Dec 21, 2008
      Just had a look through the record book for you. I have made quite a
      number of and found that my record keeping is a bit inconsistent.
      However, I was able to salvage enough to give you my numbers.

      For my 25 litre wash the initial SG is normally about 1.080 finishing
      around 1.000 give or take a couple of points. This is from 2 kg
      peated malt barley, 2 kg LME and 3 kg dextrose.

      Strip run. I take everything to 98°C giving me about 5.7 to 5.8 litre
      of low wines at 43 to 45%ABV.

      For the spirit run I add about 2.5 to 2.8 litre of feints and dilute
      to 27%ABV.

      I then drop the heads, between 10 to 20 ml (whatever it takes to get
      to a head temperature (Pot Still) of 79 to 80%.

      The I start collecting heart somewhere between 77 and 75% ABV,
      depending on the taste and nose. Then normally keep everything to
      about 62%ABV, once again relying on my senses for the final cut. This
      will give me between 3.1 and 3.5 litre of heart at about 70% ABV.

      After that I turn the heat up and run hard to 98°C before quitting.

      I average about 2.8 litre of feints at about 50%Abv.
      Note to myself. Be more dilligent in keeping records.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic