43650Experiments (was) Re: Aerating you product / equipment heads-up

    Oct 1, 2008

      > Come to think of it, one source for a rubbery smell could be the hose
      > from "filter" to the aeration bucket. If there is ethanol in the
      > filter some will evaporate and condense in the hose. I have noticed
      > that even silicone hoses tend to give some off taste when in contact
      > with 95.6% stuff.
      >
      > Harry, what type of hoses were you using with your aquarium air pump
      > experiments?
      >
      > Cheers, Riku

      I used clear silicone fuel tubing from Supercheap auto supplies (Aus).
      It wasn't so much a rubbery "smell" I noticed. It was a "taste" of
      burnt or hot rubber in the product as an aftertaste. When I switched
      to a piston pump and copper lines, it disappeared. Mind you, a lot of
      the aquarium pumps sold here in Oz are cheap taiwanese imports so I'm
      not surprised that the flexing of the rubber diaphrams (just 2 black
      rubber buckets) would cause off tastes to be transferred to the
      airstream and product. Anyways, it's something to be aware of if
      you're setting up an aerator. If it happens to anyone else at least
      they'll know the cause AND the fix.