43174Re: DIY purist Whiskey starter pack ... what do I need ?

  • bbornais
    Jul 12, 2008
      I would recommend that you keep on reading up, as all of the info
      that you need is there for you, it is just a matter of time to digest
      it all.

      There will be alot of questions that you will have regarding the
      decisions you will have to make before you even touch copper. These
      should be addressed on the New Distillers group, as it will help
      others starting out, and it is a more appropriate place to post when
      first starting out.

      If you are looking at decent malt whiskey, then you may want to check
      out All Grain Brewing techniques as well. If you make an all grain
      wort and don't hop it before fermentation, then you can make a large
      variety of malt scotches with the simplest of pot stills.

      On another note IMHO, for the price of Johnny Walker Blue, you can
      buy Very decent single malt scotches (for cheaper even). I always
      thought that their price was very extravagant for a blended scotch.

      Best of luck. It is a wonderful hobby.

      Regards,

      Bryan.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "steveandbelle"
      <steveandbelle@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I've only recently (ie. two weeks ago) tasted what I consider to be
      > pretty darn nice Whiskey (Johnny Walker Green) and I'm now keen to
      > try more (inc. J.W. Blue and everything above it) and at the same
      > time experiment with making my own. I'm 33 and haven't ever really
      > been a big drinker but something made me take the plunge and buy a
      > bottle of 'Green' and WOW it blew me away so I can't wait to taste
      > all the others :) It was just so smooth and it didn't have that
      > harsh sour 'kick' that I found J.W. Red to have, I was very
      impressed
      > to say the least.
      >
      > So, after spending a few hours reading up on Tony Acklands amazing
      > little (read: HUGE) site (http://homedistiller.org/) I'm even more
      > keen to get myself setup to start experimenting with making my
      > own ... but it's got to be from absolute scratch ie. no added
      > flavours, no tricky stuff, just pure grains all the way (if that's
      > possible for a very novice beginner like me ?!?!)
      >
      > I'm not a fan of stuffing around with half-hearted setups and
      > currently have the cash to really get stuck into things like this
      in
      > a semi-serious way so before I lose that ability (lose my job
      because
      > I keep turning up drunk, have kids etc.) I'd like to invest in a
      nice
      > little setup to make decent Whiskey from scratch. I've seen the
      > Portugese Alembic Stills from a link on Tonys site and I'm very
      > impressed as this is what I think I need but my question to
      > anyone 'in the know' out there is what do I REALLY need to setup a
      > fully blown still kit to create 'J.W. Green' type results ? Would
      > one of these Portugese stills be the way to go or am I just getting
      > carried away ?!?
      >
      > Any advice is welcome so fire away and be sure to include
      absolutely
      > EVERYTHING I'm going to need too ! I'm only VERY new to this (two
      > weeks old in fact) but I think I'm going to become quite passionate
      > about it as I'm a bit like that with things (Virgo you see).
      >
      > Thanks guys ... oh, and Tony there might be a bit of a donation to
      > the 'I-need-to-take-my-wife-out-to-dinner' fund in it for you too
      as
      > your website is incredible !! I haven't even got a 10th of the way
      > through yet but WOW it's really opened my eyes. Thanks.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic