43158Re: Universal sugar mash mark III

    Jul 11 2:34 AM
      Urea in small amounts is readily available as a soluble plant
      fertilizer. If hard pressed use urine.
      If you cannot 'backslop', do as Harry suggested, autolyze baker's
      yeast by quicky boiling a slurry to breakdown the yeast cells and
      release the nutrients. You only need about 1tsp inactivated yeast/4l
      as a nutrient.
      wal

      > Yes, I know backset would be good as well as vitamins and stuff.
      > However, the point of this experiment was to find the least amount of
      > commonly available components needed. Other thing of course is that
      > you don't have backset available when you start your first mash.
      >
      > As far as fermaid and nutrients go, I find it easier to just buy a
      > pack of turbo yeast. I may spend a bit more but I get it all in one
      > package and I don't have to experiment. Sugar mash for me is the
      > source of pure ethanol. As most of us are using reflux stills the
      > purity is not that important as we can concentrate and remove all
      > those congeners and higher+lower boiling point alcohols.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku
      >

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
      > wrote:
      > >

      > > Riku,
      > >
      > > Again, while providing it with the required minerals, your still
      > missing
      > > the needed nutrients from some form of yeast extract or yeast
      > hulls.
      > > While Dr. M.B. Raines stated yeast will ferment sucessfully in a
      > glucose
      > > / nitrogen solution, he did not state it would ferment fast.
      > >
      > > You should review some of the nutirents again in commercial yeast
      > > nutrients / energizers such as Fermaid K.
      > >
      > > Hint: Vitamin B-complex, amino acids, lipids amoung other things..
      > >
      > > Vino es Veritas,
      > >
      > > Jim.
      > >

      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
      > > wrote:
      > >

      > > Update, I repitched another pack yeast at 1040 and the mash is now
      > at
      > > 1020 and bubling slowly. I think it will eventually come through but
      > > it is quite slow, at least in comparison to 24h turbos :). I don't
      > > know whether tomato paste contains some additional nutrients or
      > > whether it was the brand of fertilizer I used. Still worth knowing
      > > that it can be done this easily if one has time to let it ferment.
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic