43147Re: Universal sugar mash mark III

  • abbababbaccc
    Jul 10, 2008
      Yes, I know backset would be good as well as vitamins and stuff.
      However, the point of this experiment was to find the least amount of
      commonly available components needed. Other thing of course is that
      you don't have backset available when you start your first mash.

      As far as fermaid and nutrients go, I find it easier to just buy a
      pack of turbo yeast. I may spend a bit more but I get it all in one
      package and I don't have to experiment. Sugar mash for me is the
      source of pure ethanol. As most of us are using reflux stills the
      purity is not that important as we can concentrate and remove all
      those congeners and higher+lower boiling point alcohols.

      Cheers, Riku

      > Riku,
      >
      > Again, while providing it with the required minerals, your still
      missing
      > the needed nutrients from some form of yeast extract or yeast
      hulls.
      > While Dr. M.B. Raines stated yeast will ferment sucessfully in a
      glucose
      > / nitrogen solution, he did not state it would ferment fast.
      >
      > You should review some of the nutirents again in commercial yeast
      > nutrients / energizers such as Fermaid K.
      >
      > Hint: Vitamin B-complex, amino acids, lipids amoung other things..
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      >
      > Jim.

      > wrote:
      >

      > Update, I repitched another pack yeast at 1040 and the mash is now
      at
      > 1020 and bubling slowly. I think it will eventually come through but
      > it is quite slow, at least in comparison to 24h turbos :). I don't
      > know whether tomato paste contains some additional nutrients or
      > whether it was the brand of fertilizer I used. Still worth knowing
      > that it can be done this easily if one has time to let it ferment.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic