      From: waljaco <waljaco@...>
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: Universal sugar mash mark III
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, July 4, 2008, 7:17 AM

      For a sugar wash you need some suspended matter to distribute the
      yeast through the wash - maybe the mashed tomatoes provide that. I
      think turbo yeast is designed to act in suspension mode and does not
      flocculate easily.
      wal
      --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@ ...>
      wrote:

      > --- In Distillers@yahoogro ups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@ >
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Gudday,
      > >
      > > As the quest for ultimate simple sugar mash goes on I started yet
      > > another version. This one is really simple:
      > >
      > > 5 kg sugar
      > > 3 tbsp fertilizer (garden variety)
      > > 2 packs of fresh bakers yeast
      > >
      > > Starting SG at 1070 and 25 liters in total. I added fertilizer untill
      > > the pH vent below 6, it's now in between 5.5 and 6. If the
      > > fermentation does not go well I'll add some tomatoes to the mash but
      > > this experiment shall give us an idea whether extra proteins are
      > > needed or not.
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku
      > >

      > I had almost forgotten this experiment. Took SG today and it was 1060,
      > not good. Took a can of tomatoes, pureed them and mixed to the mash.
      > It foamed considerably while stirring. This mash is now basically a
      > MUM so let's see if it starts to work as it should. If not I'll try
      > pitching some more baker's yeast.
      >
      > I think it's safe to say now that some source of proteins is indeed
      > needed for a mash.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic